Thursday, October 13, 2005

Baby, It's Time to Go

I now work with an officefull of Geeks and Nerds. Yep! A software development company, if you can believe it! Kinda funny when you think about it, because computer-literate, I'm not exactly!

As one would expect from a bunch of Geeks and Nerds, they have a propensity for absent-minded-ness. duh. However, they NEVER forget when it is 5:00. They pile out of the office like they have someplace to be. Since I do not have a key, ergo I also do not have the alarm code, I must leave with them. Today was the exception. I was deep in the middle of a project that I knew if I left it, I'd have to re-invent where I was tomorrow.

As they were racing out the door, I called, "Wait! Don't leave yet! I have to finish this!"

One of them called back, "Oh, -------- is here, and will be for about another 45 minutes, so you are good to go."

"Great!" I responded, since I expected to be finished in about 15-20 minutes.

I continued working, then, just when I was finishing up, I heard what sounded like the alarm being set, followed by the door closing. OOPS!

"Wait! HeadTechGuy!!!!!! Don't go!!!! I'm still here!" I yelled, as I ran to the Tech room. It was empty, computers off, all was not looking good for me! I ran back to my desk and proceeded to call HeadTechGuy and tell his phone message on his cell phone that he left me here alone! Then, with the presence of mind only an "Office Manager" posesses, I called the boss and told him that HeadTechGuy left me, and I feared the alarm was set. He said he'd be right over. Gratefully, he was just across the street, so he was over in about 3 minutes, but puzzled as to why the alarm wasn't going off.

How was I to know it wasn't a silent alarm?

But more to the point, how was I to know that it wasn't HeadTechGuy that was staying to work, but HeadPROGRAMMINGGuy??? Talk about embarassed! I asked HPG if he heard me yelling and running around the office. Yep, he sure did. "Why," I asked, "didn't you answer or call out to me?"

"You were calling for HTG, not me."

Yep, a GEEK for SURE. Gotta love them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home